Monday, November 2, 2020

Record Review: Modern Color - From the Leaves of Your Garden

Modern Color is a band I've seen around for awhile and never really jumped in to take a listen, in fact before this album I've never heard a song from the four piece from the South Bay. Well, I'm sure glad I finally dove in because I love this latest album From the Leaves of Your Garden out on Other People Records.

I've been trying to think of how to describe their sound and I think the band themselves has a hard time categorizing themselves but to me they play alternative rock, that has some elements of hardcore but tend to be melodic. As a huge Title fight fan their sound stuck to me instantly. Doing some further research on the band before writing this I stumbled on their playlist in Spotify "Behind the Music" and it makes sense its so hard to categorize this band, their tastes are everywhere and honestly that's why I like them. 

I absolutely love their guitar tones, the clean and fuzz tone are both something I want to emulate myself with my jazzmaster so I genuinely love their tone. They have a few intros of just solo guitar with chorus on top and it makes my ears perk right up. What I really love about this album is the that they have their sound dialed in and the album sounds very cohesive but they have some variance between songs. X51 starts with a fuzzy bass riff into some screeching guitar parts, Invisible Ink has a part towards the end that introduce a riff and a few notes that aren't anywhere else on the album. 

What I think they do really well too is that they don't use the same formula over and over which I feel like a lot of bands in the space do. They have their rockier parts earlier in the song, or at the end, in the middle they mix it up and it makes each song unique but the entire album still cohesive. I know Empty Rooms is the hit, but it's my favorite song without doubt. It's been stuck in my head since I first heard it and I've been listening to the track multiple times a day since. I also love Head Change, I think its a great example of their sound and I love the vocal melodies throughout the track. 

Overall, I'm glad I finally took the time to listen to this band and I hope post pandemic they can continue to tour their brains out and I can catch them here in Orange County. Check out their bandcamp: https://moderncolor.bandcamp.com/ and buy this album.

No comments:

Post a Comment