Thursday, September 24, 2020

Microsoft Purchases ZeniMax Media - Goodbye Bethesda Games on PlayStation

 

I couldn't be less interested in the current console war of PlayStation vs Xbox, mostly because I've never owned an Xbox and firmly believe PlayStation 2 is the best console of all time but recent news has peaked my interest to say the least. Xbox announced this week it has purchased ZeniMax Media including Bethesda Softworks, one of my favorite producers of video games of all time. I've put many hours into games like Doom, the Fallout and Elder Scroll series, but I also love their expanded catalog of games they've put out like Dishonored and Prey. Don't get me started on Prey. What a surprise of a video game that absolutely shot up to the top of my favorite games of all time with just one play through. Seriously, if you haven't played or heard of Prey and you have the means to play it do it right this instant. 

Daydreaming about Prey aside, this acquisition has me worried for the future of these games - for me at least. While I've seen news out there these games will be available on PC, I mean Microsoft is Windows too you know, I have fond memories of these games specifically on PlayStation. But to be fair, that's more nostalgia than anything. I remember racing home after one of my first and most miserable full time jobs to play Fallout 4, for hours straight. It was my escape at the time. That was one of the last games I remember being excited like that, sitting at my desk at work and dreaming of playing the game. Regardless, I mainly play games on my computer and I still have a PS4 but it's mostly for watching Netflix. I will still be able to play the games on my computer but I won't forget the times I had with that PS4 controller in my hands killing hours playing Skyrim and PS4.

This is a huge move for Microsoft and I'd say it's a response to the amount of PlayStation exclusive games that have come out recently that have truly surpassed or met high expectations. I think this is a trend and PlayStation will respond with only more exclusives and honestly I think it all just hurts us end users. I think more options the better and being able to play with your friends regardless of platform is more important. We'll just have to wait and see how this shakes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment